Bastion 23, also known as Le Palais des Raïs (The Palace of Kings) is an Ottoman era fortress located in central Algiers.
Construction began in 1576 under the orders of the Ottoman Dey Ramdhan Pacha, who wanted to reinforce the defenses in the Lower Casbah, and continued until 1798. Bastion 23 was originally a part of the famous Casbah d’Alger but it is now isolated and separated from the rest of it due to the destruction and reconstruction of central Algiers during the French colonial era.
Musée d’Orsay is a work of art in itself. It was originally a train station until 1975, when the Direction des Musées de France considered installing a museum in a train station where all the art from the second half of the 19th century could be displayed. The station then underwent refurbishment and was finally opened in the winter of 1986. Continue reading
The Roman Ruins of Tipasa is a UNESCO site located approximately 70km west of Algiers. Originally a Punic trading post dating back to 600 B.C., it was a place for exchanges between the Carthaginians and the indigenous population.
Colonized by the Ancient Romans after the Third Punic War, it was then turned into a military colony by Emperor Claudius and used for the conquest of the Berber kingdom of Mauretania. Continue reading